Thursday, May 17, 2007

Garden City, Texas

May 9, 2007
Garden City, Texas


I bet you are wondering -- "where is the picture of the garden?" Well, Garden City is one of the many towns in Texas with a name that is ironic or perhaps just hopeful. I got to visit two of them in one week (Big Lake and Garden City). While I was there, I bought a lottery ticket and decided that if I hit the jackpot, I would build them a much needed garden. When I asked about the town name, no one had an explanation. However, after a search on google, I discovered that the town was supposed to be named after a store proprieter named Mr. Gardner, but it was misspelled.



This is the Glasscock County courthouse, built in 1910.



This is the old jail (built in 1894).



I don't know what this is, but it was on the courthouse grounds.



This is the new jail and home of the tax assessor's office. Naturally, the sheriff jails people and collects the taxes.


3 comments:

mad said...

That's pretty funny that the town fathers couldn't spell Gardener. I think that's how Mervyns got its name too.

pineapple said...

you may be right about that!

Anonymous said...

That little red building is the Boy/Cub Scout hut.