Wednesday, May 09, 2007

I'm a lucky pineapple

April 29, 2007
8 Miles East of Columbus, Texas on I-10:


So I am driving down I-10 on my way to Houston when I hit something and the tire blew out. This is what it looked like after we took it off the car:



So here is the scary part. There was something else in the road and this is what made me lose control of the car. This is the point when I did a 180 across two lanes of traffic and ended up facing the wrong direction in the median. Of course, the car did not stop before it hit the fence in the center of the median. Here is the damage:



This was probably one of the scariest things that has ever happened to me. But now that I have had some time, I can recall a couple of things about this that were pretty damn funny. For instance, after the car started spinning out of control, MOTL told me that I should slow down. Gee, thanks! Then, when I called the handy-dandy number on the back of my license for road side assistance I was explaining to the dispatcher where I was and she said I think you are near the wreck that was called in. I told her that I didn't see a wreck and she replied that I was the wreck. Duh!

Disclaimer: Do not try this at home (or on a busy highway).

4 comments:

testglobaltraffic said...

nice blog

pineapple said...

thanks!

mad said...

Holy shit! I guess you're OK if you can see some of the humor. But that tire looked pretty damn bald.

pineapple said...

We're fine. Actually, the tire wasn't bald at all -- just bad lighting. Photos don't turn out very well when you take pictures at night in the parking lot of truck stops for some reason...