Friday, August 03, 2007

The Big Texan

Amarillo, Texas
March 30, 2005
(more phone photos)



The Big Texan is a steakhouse, a motel, and a horse hotel. And they have a gift shop too.


and a really big cows. You know how much I love fake animals!



This is a picture of the 72oz. steak. When you order this, you sit at a table on a stage in the middle of the restaurant. It comes with a baked potato, salad, dinner roll and shrimp cocktail. You have to pay the $72 up front, but if you can eat the whole thing in less than an hour, they refund your money and you get a T-shirt, a souvenir boot mug and a certificate.


8 comments:

Evil Spock said...

Do they make you sign a waiver in case of "stupid death"?

pineapple said...

no because this would fall under the category of honorable death in Texas.

Evil Spock said...

If Evil Spock wasn't a veggie, Evil Spock bets Evil Spock could conquer it.

pineapple said...

i'm sure you could!

mad said...

Holy shit, I bet that's no filet mignon.

pineapple said...

I'm all about beef, but I could never eat that much steak plus the sides in less than an hour.

Anonymous said...

...and you were liable to get your name in the paper, too. I grew up in Amarillo, and ever so often you'd see a short piece in the paper about some 10-year-old knocking one back or an 80-year-old granny polishing one off. I'm hardly ever on I-40 any more, so I don't know if this is still true or not, but the Big Texan used to have billboards for hundreds of miles going in both directions from Amarillo, advertising that free steak.

pineapple said...

I don't know about the billboards because I flew into town so I could drive to other small towns and it was 2 years ago. But I would want my name in the paper (and a bucket) if I ate all that food because that is quite the accomplishment.