Tuesday, August 22, 2006

I love craters

I had some time to kill on Friday because the courthouse in Sterling City closes at 1:30 on Fridays. So instead of waiting at the airport for any extra hour or so, I took a trip to the meteor crater of Odessa. I am so glad I did. They had kick ass shirts for sale and a hilarious coffee mug with a flaming meteor coming towards the earth with a preexisiting crater.



On the road to the crater, I saw this family cemetery. My first thought was that it isn't a very big family. Then I realized that the only family member here may not have been very well liked since the Henderson family spent a good deal of money on the gate and fence, but only tied together a couple of sticks to make a cross instead of buying a headstone.



Not that I was thinking of drinking the water from the faucets of the Ladies Restroom at the Meteor crater Museum, but I'm glad they warned me. It did make me wonder if it was even safe to wash my hands.



I know that this is West Texas and that there are a lot of snakes, but I don't think that they know to stay off of the path.



When this crater was discovered, it was just big hole in the ground so naturally, someone filled it up with sand. It was so much more impressive this way



I thought the garbage bags in the middle of the "crater" was a nice tough. Don't you?

2 comments:

mad said...

Somebody filled the crater with sand? Hahaha.

pineapple said...

what else would you do with a great big hole?